Install TomTom7 onto WinCE5.0 with North America Maps
Though TomTom Navigator system has been updated to 8.x/9.x for the PND, the manufacturer is still hiccuping to develop the latest version for Windows Mobile, especially for Windows CE 5.0/6.0.
Though it’s easy to install TomTom7 for Windows Mobile system, we are facing the music to transfer the TomTom7 to Windows CE 5.0/6.0 based GPS system. Anyway beam of sunlight kindles every corner on the earth. Here are the way-out to install TomTom7 onto WinCE5.0 with North America Maps.
1. Software Needing to Be Downloaded:
(1) Apps: TomTom 7.910.9185 for WinCE5 or TomTom 7.450.9030 for WinCE5.
(Note: The former one is the latest TomTom7 for WinCE, and both are OK for CE 4.2/5.0/6.0);
(2) Tomtom7 Maps: USA-and-Canada_860.3128 or Canada-Alaska_860.3126.
(Note: You can find any maps from navitotal.com forums).
2. Installation Procedures:
(1) Unzip the App and Map files into the root directory of your SD Card (or the internal memory; Better use Card reader for a stable data transfer because data transfer via ActiveSync or WMDC by USB cable will cause problem due to intermittent connectivity), Please note, the Map folder shall be under the root directory of your SD Card, not inside the TomTom7 folder (“Navigator” by default). So finally you should have 3 files/folders just under the root directory of the SD Card as the figure below:
(2) Power on your GPS and locate to SD card by Windows CE Explorer, go into “Navigator” folder and launch “TomTom Navigator.exe”, configure the TomTom7 accordingly.
(3) When prompting for GPS receiver, please select “Other NMEA GPS receiver” though you have build-in GPS receiver and then select the baud rate: 4800 (by default, but mine is 57600), and Com Port (Com:2 be default, but mine is “GPS_COM”).
(4) Exit the TomTom7 system, and a “ttnavigator.bif” file will be generated under the root directory of the SD Card.
(5) Connect the SD Card to your PC, connect the Internet; Run the “AutoActivate.exe” file to activate the TomTom7 system and the map automatically (a .dct file will be generated under the map folder, for instance, Canada-Alaska folder).
(6) Place the SD Card back into your GPS.
Enjoy the TomTom7 on WinCE5.0/6.0.